HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolf Update
Thread: Wolf Update
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wolf Update

The situation goes way deeper than that. People like ADV. are not the problem.

Being a radical can do more damage than help. Whether we like it or not the wolves are here to stay. Extermination is not a possibility and any coversation in or around extermination orillegal killingis quoted directly in the courts and is used to further the pro wolf cause. Believe me, it happens. I have seen it first hand. There are links on the pro wolf websites that lead to threads such as this, be careful in what you say.

A far as the states game management plans and fighting the wolf movement, I too wondered what was being done. By attending public hearings and meetings, my eyes were opened to what the departments are up against and what they are willing to do. I am also aware of the impacts and have watched outfitters plea with fish and game commisioners to cut tags and even close seasons at their expense to save what is left of the elk in both the Lolo and Sawtooth zones in Idaho. It pained me to watch the tears in the eyes of people who have devoted their lives to the outdoors.

There is an opening in the ESA called the 10j ruling for those who are not familiar with that. It allows the agencies to eliminate those wolves in problematic areas. This is indeed being exercised as I type this. There have been many wolves that have been taken out of areas where they were becoming a huge impact on ungulate mortality.

If all goes well in the courts, and we show that the genetic crossover studies that occured several years ago are not correct, maybe we can help in the management process by partaking in the seasons that have been set and are ready for this fall.

Until all hunters show that we can be civil and make the correct decisions regarding management of an animal on the ESA, we will find ourselves battling this issue from here til the end of time. Please make responsible choices.

Its never a good idea to mix feelings with ESA politics.

To whomever has a vested interest in what is facing hunters now and in the future, attend any meeting or hearing that you can instead of becoming an armchair commando in cyberspace! You may be surprised as to what is going on around you.