HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help:What semi-auto carbine to get??
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Deerslayer_37

Default Help:What semi-auto carbine to get??

Ok, i have a question. I' m looking for a carbine size semi-auto rifle to get for just around the house. Whenever I walk back behind the house,(we live on 135 acres)I like to have a gun with me. Since my walks are too long to carry the heavy bull barreled .22-250 or even my mountain rifle .270 Win, I go without a gun. Seems everytime I do this, I see a coyote or oppossum or racoon just asking me to shoot them. As it' s not legal for me to carry a handgun until im 18, I would like to get something smaller than a long action rifle, but larger than a pistol.

I narrowed it down to two guns: M-1 carbine and SKS. The Ruger Mini-14' s and 30' s are too expensive for me at the moment(I need stuff for bowhunting yet). A guy at work told me to get a M-1 carbine. The SKS is more readily available, but is it as reliable? I know they' ve also got more wear, and a more ill-fitting stock(if I got one, I would restock it with a synthetic). So, should I opt for the SKS which has better power, or the M-1 carbine for it' s small size and large magazine???? Also, how much does an M-1 carbine cost roughly??? Under $300?

thanks,

slayer