HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My son's turkey (PIC)
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Default My son's turkey (PIC)

I took my 6 year old out this morning to set up on some birds we roosted last night. We popped the double bull blind up about 80 yards from where wesaw them fly up. There were 2 toms, 2 jakes, and 8 hens. The birds gobbled a fair amount and when they flew down it was silent. I gave some soft clucks and purrs and I could hear some spitting and drumming to my left. I told my son that he was close to get ready. I picked the bird up at about 35 yards coming in, but he couldn't see it yet. The bird hooked around a big oak tree coming to 20 yards and I heard my son say "dad, I see him!" I told him to put it on him and let me know when he was ready. The bird went behind another tree, came out and stretched his neck out looking for the hen. My son then said, "dad I am on him, dad I am on him, dad I am on him. I told him to shoot when he was ready, BOOM! That bird never even wiggled. He had madea perfect shot on him. 21 lbs, 11 inch beard, but only 1/4 inch spurs. He was so excited and so was I. At 6 years of age he has harvested a rio and an easter. We are looking into booking a trip to South Dakota next year for him merriams.