HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to me Flintlock
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default New to me Flintlock

Spent yeterday afternoon cleaning this new TC that I got on my last trip over to Kennewick. It is an older Kit model that someone really did a good job on. I think the original owner must have had the barrel 'hot' blued because it is a deep dark blue... For the last 10/12 years it has been stored in the back of a closet. Ed said that he did send it into TC several years ago and they put a new lock on it. He also said when it came back he did shoot a couple of pans of powder to make sure it was sparking correctly. That kinda concerned me as i was worried about the condition of the bore - if it had not been cleaned correctly.

The firt oily patch i ran down the bore, all the way to the bottom felt really smooth and I was breathing a little easier, but when it came out it was covered with rust. Broke out the JB's and ran 100 stokes on six different patches - cleaned the barrel till I got clean patches - dropped in the bore light... Beautiful - looks like a mirror in there.

At first I thought it might be a 1/60-6 twist but I am pretty confident that it a 1/48...

Now the next problem! A new learning curve for myself... I really did not have much of an interest in a 'rock sparker' then Big 6x6 went off on the traditional guns, posted a picture of really nice TC flinter - then indicated that they are really fun to shoot. So, if I figure out how to shoot it I will let you know if they are fun - remember I am an 'A' personality - an OLD football/baseball coach with very little paitence. My work might be cut out for me....

Gotta throw this in also - not ML related... although it is yesterday's history

Monday's hunt... we can not hunt pigs - so this has to work for me