HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady FHP Bullets
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady FHP Bullets

If your Shockey's Gold is a couple years old (like it sounds like), I'd dump it. Shockey's Gold tends to absorb moisture quickly and lose it's consistency/potency. It might be good, but chances are, you're going to be frustrated when you go to the range.

I'd go with either Triple Seven, or Blackhorn 209. Triple Seven is cheaper and very accurate, with good velocity. Only downside is that you usually need to swab the barrel between shots because of crud buildup. It's not an issue for me, but some people don't like doing it. Triple Seven is easy to find and can be ignited with any shotgun primer in any rifle.

Blackhorn only works in rifles with the right kind of breech plug design (like your Genesis) and you should use a full-strength shotgun primer like the Federal 209A, Winchester W209 or CCI primers. Accuracy reported by most people is comparable to or better than with Triple Seven. And you don't have to swab the barrel between shots or clean the gun right away after shooting (it is non-corrosive). Downside is, it's expensive and hard to find.

As far as charges for either powder, I'd start at 80 grains and work your way up in 10 grain increments until you find what your rifle likes the best.