HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team #8 " Loaded for Bear "
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 05:55 PM
OKbowhunter20

Default RE: Team #8 " Loaded for Bear "

One of our very own members, ZachCL, generously invited me to hunt with him this weekend. Yesterday evening we roosted a gobbler and noted his location so we could set up on him in the morning. After we got set up this morning the action was slow at first, but it got heated up really quick . We were sitting in the blind and talking about nothing important when suddenly Zach looks up and says "There they are!". I look up to see a tom and 5 hens RUNNING toward the dekes. The turkeys came within 10 yards of the blind, but they worked around our South side (where we couldn't get a shot ).

Here he is in the thick grass...laughing at us

When they wandered off we ditched the blind and went after them run'n'gun style. We were able to get in their path, but only the hens got close enough, the tom stayed 60 yards away. We went back to the truck and gathered our thoughts. After some rest we went after him one more time.

We walked into the same area and Zach hit his call, and we heard a gobble in the distance. We worked toward it as close as we dared and set up the blind and dekes. He stareted responding pretty well to the calls and we could tell he was getting closer. About 20 minutes later Zach spotted him on a hill about 80 yards away. He hit the call, the tom spotted the dekes, and he began to close the gap. He walked toward us with a cedar tree inbetween us the whole time. When he finally stepped out from behind the tree, he was at 20 yards and I thwacked him. He immediatly flopped over and was dead within seconds.

It was an awesome hunt

Stats
Beard: 8 5/8"
Spurs: 1 1/2" & 1 1/4"
Weight: 24 lbs.

Your score is 24 + 15 + 12.5 + 17.25 = 68.75
Check out these hooks