HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Lanse couche couche
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 76 yr old turkey hunter killed by game warden

You might want to check the laws. My understanding is that a GW can enter your property, but when it comes to entering your home to conduct a search they have to follow the same procedures as other enforcement officials.

In terms of how GW's act, my perspective is that it is an issue of dealing with priorities and using common sense at the same time. GW's are stretched thin, so one would think that they would concentrate on patrolling for road hunters,conducting license and safety checks on hunters entering or exiting the woods to hunt, and responding to actual complaints. Simply going on private property or even wandering around on public land just to check things out, especially on opening day of a season where everyone is in camo and carrying shotguns with highbrass loads just does not seem like a good or safe idea. In the area where Iown landand hunt I have never even heard of a GW entering private property like that. They already have their hands full dealing with the issues that I described above. Kind of a moot point since it has been repeatedly established that they can enter private property, although a recent court case in Ohio has suggested some limits to that.I just know that is pretty ironic that in hunting we constantly preach safety while in the woods, yet you can have GW's wandering around the woods under pretty unsafe conditions.