HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Purchase question.
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 AM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Purchase question.

Seems to me the legal issues is with him and buying the gun not with me. Though i have no intent of breaking any laws. My guest if somethign did happen Him or Him and i would go to jail or i would lose my 600 gun 100 bucks is not worth the trouple. I figure it would cost me 50 to drive there not sure it is worth 50 bucks to drive there. I do not also want to buy it at gander mountain either the kinda pisses me off with there 75 dollar transfer fee.
ORIGINAL: homers brother

Tim,

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60

While this doesn't on the surface appear to be outside anylegal statutes, the fact that it raises the question in the first place tells you what you should do. In a sense, when your sister's boyfriend answers the block "are you the buyer", he's stretching the truth and the intent. I'm no attorney, but It'd be a bit different if it were a firearm he already owned that you were buying, but even those purchases can be restricted by state laws.

A better option would be to have the firearm transferred to your local dealer. Most FFL dealers will perform FFL-to-FFL transfers, provided the buyer pays shipping and the final FFL dealer's handling fee. Of course, handling fees vary, I've seen them add anywhere from $25 (the least I've paid) to $50 (the most I've paid). Shipping generallyadds another$20-$30. For those additional costs, you could probably buy the gas and make the three-hour-drive, or the same firearm availablelocally may not seem so expensive.