HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My reason for not wanting a Savage or CVA Electra
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
mountaineer magic

Default My reason for not wanting a Savage or CVA Electra

This is my response in another thread. I decided to make a new topic out of it. I realize we have different opinions. I am sharing my reason why I prefer to stay with Blackpowder guns that don't cross the line. A line that is arbitrary of course. This is where the line is drawn for me.

I just don't like the idea that a gun is capable of shooting smokeless because I think that factor puts it in a different class than a Blackpowder gun. I don't like the CVA Electra because of the ignition. I believe it is things like this that will cause Blackpowder guns to be classified as firearms someday. Right now Blackpowder guns are not firearms in most states and therefore not subject to FFL regulations. I see that changing. For example the Electra in some states requires a FFL to buy it. Same with guns that you can change the barrels to centerfire. The savage is just one more gun that crosses the line. I hate to see muzzleloaders in the same category at firearms .Right now they are still somewhat exempt from the attack of the anti-gun nuts. I would like to see it stay that way. I realize that the line is arbitrary. Some people would say if it isn't a flint lock shooting real blackpowder it isn't a muzzleloader. Some would say that if you load it down the muzzle then it doesn't matter if it shoots smokeless. I draw the line with powder. If it shoots blackpowder or substitutes then I can accept that , I prefer Traditional guns but in-lines are here to stay and I have quite a few I use during deer season. That is some of my reasons. Let's keep the advancements in Blackpowder technology from destroying the very basis of the fun of a muzzleloader and the additional seasons of hunting, as well as the classification of it.
That's where I draw the line., now how about you. Where do you draw the line and why?