HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington and Savage Accuracy
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 AM
CarpetBagger
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington and Savage Accuracy

Remington 700 SPS Stainless .270 shootsunder 1" and have not yet done a trigger job on it. Used to shoot about a 1.5 with 130 CL cheap ammo....

About 2 years agostarted playing with some different factory ammo and got the group down quite a bit with some different loads. Tried Winchester Super X, Federal Power Shock, Remington Core Lokt, Federal Fusion, and Hornady SP all in 130gr. Shot all of the rounds fairly well for hunting purposes.

The rifle really liked the Hornady rounds the bestand grouped them in about the size of a quarter at 100yrds. Shot perfectly at 12' o clock 1.8in high. I figured it was more human error than the rifle, fairly certainI was flinching slightly and sureI wasnt holding the rifle EXACTLY where I was on the previous shot.

Started shooting and hunting the Hornady 130 SP and that was the real selling point. I have dropped 3 deer since and none have left my field of view once I pulled the trigger. I have harvested my largest 8pt buck who dropped in his tracks even while my heart was jumping out of my chest.

You need a little confidence in your hunting rig out in the field. You never wantto second guess your gun or ammo. Yes the Hornady bullets are a little more expensive, but they make me a little calmer whenI go to pull the trigger. Ive never owned a Savage, but Im very happy with my Remington 700.