HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Savage rifle at walmart
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
shawnster88
Spike

Default RE: Savage rifle at walmart

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Does it have the Accu-Trigger? If it does, then it is a steal at that price. If not, then it is a decent, but not spectacular, deal. As for the specific model, that depends on type of stock and the type of metal used for the barreled action. If it's blued with a wood stock, it's a Model 10GXP3. If it's matte blue with a synthetic stock, then it's a Model 11FXP3 (or 11FCXP3 if it has a detachable magazine). Or if it's stainless steel with a synthetic stock, it's a Model 16FXP3.

To decipher Savage's model number "code", here's a little primer to help you out:

F: synth stock
G: hardwood stock
B: Laminate wood stock
C: detachable magazine
H: hinged floorplate
L: left hand model
NS: no sights
AK: adjustable muzzlebrake
Y: youth length
V: Varmint contour barrel
SS: stainless steel barreled action
TH: thumbhole stock

The model numbers also have meaning, which will tell you the length of the action and the grade of finish the rifle has. A two digit model is a short action, and a three digit model number is a long action(always by adding a "1" to the beginning of the number). So a Model 14 is a short action, a long action would be a Model 114. The number also indicates the finish grade. The 14/114 is the Classic line, and the top grade finish with gloss blue and wood. The 12/112 are the varmint/target line, the 11/111 is the Hunter, which offers a semi-gloss blued finish, and a satin finish on the wood stocked version. The 10/110 is the matte blue barreled action (except the 10ML muzzleloader, which can be had in stainless steel). The 10/110 is only currently offered in the package guns and the camo Predator Hunter series, and Savage now makes the bottom of the line rifles under the Stevens nameplate.

Overall, the Savage is a good rifle that will most likely be very accurate. The Accu-Trigger, if it has it, is a very good hunting trigger, and the price you noted ranges anywhere from pretty good to a great deal.

Mike
Wow, great info. I know it DOES have the Accu-Trigger. Or at least there's a sticker on the bottom of the forearm that says so. It also has the synthetic stock. It did not appear to have a detachable mag. I know the one they had was a .243 and I was gonna ask them if they could order on in .270 but I haven't had a chance so go by lately. Thanks again for the replies.