HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 5 Check In "Los Cazadores de Pavos"
Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
ZachCL

Default RE: Team 5 Check In "Los cazadores de pavos"

FORGET THE WIND JUST HUNT- thats my new slogan after today!!!!!!!!!
Well despite the windy conditions here, somehow I got it done on opening day. After the morning hunt w/ my wife she went back to bed. I went back to the woods to see what I could scare up. I had a gobble and went to work on him. I got alot of response from him but couldnt get him to commit. I went home and ate some lunch took a little nap. At about noon I went back out for one last hoorah for opening day. I went to the edge of a creek and gave a soft call. BAM he was right in my lap. I quickly set up my little hen decoy and set down in some brush on the side of a hill. GOBBLE GOBBLE, there he was right behind me. The adrenaline was starting to flow by now. I gave a few soft clucks and purred to him a little. When I first saw him he was walking down the hill about 10 yrds to the side of me. Thank God for the brush I was in. As soon as he saw the decoy he was struttin and drummin like crazy right there beside me. My heart was coming out of my dang chest now and I was beginning the shakes real bad. It was at this point that I realized he was just a jake but you know, I never thought twice about it. I had my decoy ranged at 30 yrds and when he went behind a cedar I set up and drew my bow. Now he was giving my decoy a love song and strutting up bigtime. The next time he stopped I sent my arrow on its way. Heard the smack and watched him trot about 10 yrds and died right there.

I had a blast, regardless of wether he is a jake or not I got him runnin and gunning w/ my bow. No blind just natural brush and the show he put on was great. Here are some pics for yall to enjoy.

Oh yea and if the deke looks a little wierd its because its a foam jake I got on sale for 5 bucks. Painted the head and popped the beard back into the body. It looks good enough for me and the turkeys I guess.

NWTF score is 27.