HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ideal bullet performance on game?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ideal bullet performance on game?

I want all of the above. Rapid expansion but won't blow up at very high velocity, near 100% weight retention, large frontal area after expansion, deep penetration almost always resulting in a pass through no matter which way you hit the animal.

Or to say it succinctly, Barnes TSX.

They seem to me to be just about the perfect hunting bullet, and you won't have to pick lead fragments out of your meat either. They've also proven very accurate in both the rifles I've tried them in. They were my first choice for my 257 Wby. At the kind of velocity the Roy can make, a bullet that won't blow apart is vital to ensure that it will perform as well at short ranges where impact velocity can easily top 3500 fps, but still perform perfectly way out there if such a shot presents itself. My second choice was the Accubond if I simply could not get any of the .257 cal TSX bullets to shoot well. Fortunately, my rifle prints sub-MOA accuracy with the 100 grain Tipped TSX. It should be potent deer medicine, and I'm looking forward to trying it out next season.

Mike