HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need advice
Thread: need advice
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: need advice

ORIGINAL: Wyvern Crossbow

If you go with the Tenpoint recurve you can do the same field swap on the string, but you have the anti dryfire and automatic safety which is a nice addition...besides, if you check and maintain your equipment regularly you dont need to do too many field repairs anyway...Recurves are lighter and easier to work on, but they tend to be louder and slower than a compound of equal poundage and they are alot wider which depending on where you hunt may be a big factor

Wyvern
I believe that recurves are the way to go for the reason they are simplier and easier to maintain. Yes if you check and maintain your equipment regularly you dont meed to do too many field repairs anyway like Wyvern stated ...................... BUT .......... with most hunters this is the norm and normal maintainance is not what usually causes the problems in the field. In my many years with archery hunting, I have seen string get accidently knicked with a cutting head, cutting only a few strands. Barbed wire fences are also good for damage like this. Serving come completely unraveled on new strings. With a compound bow, this could ruin your hunt with that bow. Compounds are usually quieter then the recurves, but the noise of the bow is alot less then the noise of the arrow in flight and both recurves and compounds tend to use the same arrow/head setups.

Now about the "anti dryfire and automatic safety" ............. I personally do not like them and think that they are an actuall safety hazard. Having them on a bow will lead to the shooters to depend on them and trust them instead of learnig the proper safety steps of cocking the bow, putting on the safety and installing the arrow on the rail. If you go through all of these steps every time, you will not have dryfires or will not forget to put on the safety. Remember that a mechanical device (anti dryfire and automatic safety) are devices made by humans and will fail in their life time and you will never know when that will happen. NEVER EVER TRUST A MECHANICAL DEVICE AS A SAFETY DEVICE.

Please if you have these devices on your bow, keep up with the proper safe loading cocking steps and do not reply on the devices.