HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - **Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS
Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 PM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default Killed another one today

Some days one just falls in your lap.

Peter and I went to our club, 2,700 acres of cutover in NW tennessee by the Mississippi River. The turkey are busted up and scattered now so I didn't havea clue where to go. The plan was to use the 4-wheeler to listen, go somewhere else and listen, etc until we got on a gobbler.

We drove to a good listening spot and heard a couple of far away gobbles. I waited a while and was about ready to go chase one of those distant gobblers when one gobbled on the roost not 75 yards away. We simply popped the facemasks on and took about 10 very very careful and very very slow steps to the nearest trees. After a couple of tree clucks he gobbled again. Few minutes later he pitched down in front of us. One soft yelp on the diaphram and he was 25 yards in front of us. He came up on my side so I took the shot. Nice 3-year old bird I believe - not much ofa beard though.

Good thing my Yamaha 4-wheeler is camo because you could see it in the road behind us from where the turkey last stood.

Got on another one later in the morning that gobbled 5 zillion times but wouldn't come closer than 50-70 yards. We moved on him three times and still didn't kill him. Crazy turkey.

21.7 lbs
8.5" beard
1.0 and 1.125 spurs
Score = 59.6875