HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is my arrow really heavy?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
idahoelkinstructor
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Shot an Elk at 84 yards with a 400 grain arrow, and blew clean through him. It was wide open country and I had stalked this Bull for 3 hours. We had been shooting up to 90 yards all summer and I felt confident in the shot.

I never did find the arrow, but the Bull only went 60 yards.

Did I hit major bone? Nope! but if I had it would have been a poor shot. A poor shot is a poor shot, and IMHO another 100 to 150 grains on the arrow would not have made a difference if the shot was poor.

I've been chasing critters all over the US and Canada for over 40 years. A medium weight arrow 6 to 7 grains per pound is adequate for anything I hunt, although like I stated I will under certain circumstances use a heavier arrow as I am not really Pro light or Pro Heavy.

I had rather match the setup for the game intended.

One mind set that is totally wrong IMO is that Big broadheads or Heavy arrows will fix poor shots. They will NOT!! Only take a shot where you know you can place the arrow where it needs to be.

I will not use expandables because of things seen and experienced.

Dan
Heavy arrow or light I would suggest that you work on your stalking skills and or calling skills, sure elk are a big target but 84 yards is stupid IMO. Yes you and I and most otherarchers can learn to hit a 6" bulls eye out to 100 yards, but even with the fastes bows andarrow set up it takes some time for a arrow to travel 80 yards. Enough time for a elk or any other animal to move and have that vital hit become a wounding hit. Not saying it can't be done, you and othersprove that point. But I would bet that for every animal killed over 60 yards that one or maybe two are wounded.