HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbe Crossbow Questions
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newbe Crossbow Questions

ORIGINAL: Cossack

"As for "Arrows", you'll be buying bolts."

Get it right if you're giving advice here: THEY ARE ARROWS, not bolts. Bolts have no feathers, made pf metal, look much like a dart , are only 6-7'' long and were used mostly in medieval bows to pierce armor. They are what gives crossbows a bad name. Modern crossbows shoot ARROWS, albeit a bit shorter than those used by vertical bows. Dislike being contentious but we have enough trouble with the antis without our own kind helping their cause....
Yes modern crossbows shoot arrows and not bolts. 20-25 years ago (sorry I no longer have the link to the info) the standard discription between arrows & bolts were mostly the size. Arrows 14" and under were classed as bolts and larger were arrows. With most States & Provinces requiring 14-14.5 inch draw, this makes bolts no good to hunt with as they would be too short.

My first compound shot 27'' arrows while my Relayer shot 21.5''. less then 6"' different in length, but you would not believe how the anti's would claim that my arrow was not an arrow.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.