HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 3: Sunrise Demise
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
fingerz42
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 3 Thread

I agree superstrutter calling before the season is a good way to mess things up. If done incorrectly. And I know this, so I wasn't about to act like it was a hunting day and call until a bird came in. So, like I said those birds were initially about 150 yards away, and I gave them one seriess of hen yelps, and thats all I planned on doing, I just wanted them to come close enough so I could see them and see if I had a longbeard or two in the bunch. So after one series of yelps, the hen decided she was going to take control, and from there out I didnt make another call, I just sat and listened to her. Nonetheless, those lonely gobblers came right in. I just sat and waited and watched.

Even if the hen wouldnt have started to yelp as she did, I only planned on calling one or two series. My logic behind it is that every day those birds hear the hens yelping etc. so I wasn't going to stir too much of a problem. And again, I was fine with seeing them at 90 yards, but when they came to 15 feet thats fine by me.

When I left the house, I didnt really want to call whatsoever, but it got the best of me. I surely wont be back out there to do it again. But it was fun and informational for me atleast.

I have a local guy that goes up with his decoys and all and calls birds in. Then after he's called them in, he will see which way they go, get up, reposition, and call the same birds in again. He does this every spring, and he never learns. That is just idiotic.