HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Range finders ??
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Range finders ??

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

most of the cheaper rangefinders will range a deer sized soft target to just about 1/2 the rated range (ie, a bushy 800 will range a deer to approx. 400 yards) in average conditions. The decent rangefinders start with the leica and go up.
I have ranged a deer with my leica 1200 to 1218 yards, swuaro's will range hard targets to just over 1 mile. had a bushy 600 that never ranged nothin past 400 yards.
For bow hunting any of them will work, if you wanna range groundhogs and such, get the best you can afford.
RR
My experience as well. Leica is where it starts at and unless your needing more or the best is all most will ever need. I have a Leica 900 LRF that has ranged deer to over 800 yards and best part is came back with the same range time after time! Something that isn't mentioned a lot is the LED colour, leica's (swaro's as well) use red which is much easier to acquire the target and see the read out. Low light or daylight redIMO is more user friendly.

As far as cost your getting more for your dollar and I have learned the hardway that spending more upfront is actually cheaper in many cases!