HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My sons first turkey!!!(PICS)
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Default My sons first turkey!!!(PICS)

OK guys, I just got home from taking my 6 yr old son on the youth turkey hunt in Texas. If anybody watched the weather this weekend you know the weather was terrible. 7 inches of snow, wind blowing 35 out of the NW with 4-5 foot snow drifts. My little man was a trooper. We popped up the double bull and brought a coleman heater with us. Keep him nice and toasty for our hunt. We had 2 toms come in and stand at 35 yards for 45 minutes, I wouldn't let him shoot b/c I felt that was to far for him. 15 jakes were next followed by 4 more toms. The 4 toms we directly to the 2 other toms and ran them clean off without offering a shot. The jakes left and there were sitting in the cold watching nothing but the snow blow. About 10 minutes later 4 more jakes come in. He starts begging me to shoot and I am persistant "NO!" We argue for about 10 minutes over this, he finally says "dad, does a jake count toward the grand slam?" I told him that it did not........for you guys that don't know me, I completed my slam last year and he of course wants to be like ole dad. He finally gives in to wait for a longbeard and within 1 minute of that 3 toms come in from our right at 5 yards. I get them stopped at 20 yards, he says "dad, I am on him" I tell him to shoot when he is ready.....BOOM and flopping is his first turkey a 18 lb tom with 1 inch spurs, and an 8.5 inch beard. You talk about a proud papa. Our youth season in MO starts next weekend and his is ready to go.