HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sweet corn and Apple Trees
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Soilman
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sweet corn and Apple Trees

I have never grown "sugar buns," but I have a lot of experience with SE (sugar enhanced) varieties. The SE varieties are great for us northerners, they take colder soil. They will germinate to soil temps of about 55-60. Sugar buns is a 72 day corn (takes about 72 days from emergence to maturity). That is a mid-early hybrid. Shorter day hybrids usually have smaller ears, and are not as sweet. The 72 day corn is a good compromise on the early maturity and nice cob size trade-off.In earlier maturing varieties, theplant just doesn't have enough time to make big sweet ears. I would make 2-4 plantings of sugar buns, about 1 week apart (if practical). That would stagger the maturity of the sweetcorn, and give you some insurance against early season cold spells. If anything, I would pick a later maturity variety (something in the 80-85 day range). If you do want another variety, any SE hybrid will work just fine. Any garden supply site (Gurney's, Jung, Stokes, etc.) will have their varieties labeled. Their catalogs can really help you decide which varieties may work best for you.

The fence works great for protecting small fruit trees from deer. I have done that myself. You may have rabbit and mouse issues though. Protecting the trunks from chewing critters in winter may be a good idea. Consider a plastic sleeve around the trunk to discourage the little knawing pests.