HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Back From Nebraska Turkey Hunt!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 05:25 AM
MichaelHunsucker
Nontypical Buck

Default Back From Nebraska Turkey Hunt!

Shawn, Nate, and I just got back from our first spring turkey hunt of the year. We decided to go up to Nebraska and take advantage of the early archery season that opened on March 25th. I contancted an old high school baseball coach of mine who owns a farm in the Falls City area that he had told me i could hunt any time. He showed me the farm on google earth and we were headed north to Nebraska!

Man, was that aerial map decieving…I couldn’t believe the terrain when we pulled in. We were only a little over two hours from home and it seemed like we were up in the mountains! I couldn’t believe some of these deep ravines and hills! Needless to say, this made the turkey hunting a little more difficult than expected. Nevertheless, we set up camp on top of the hill and got out there and scouted the day before the opener. There was only one problem…we couldn’t seem to find any birds on the property! That is until we drove the perimeter of the farm at dusk and spoted 5 or 6 different groups of birds roosted in the trees!

The next two days of hunting were amazing! I couldn’t believe how split up the birds were this early in the season. We had three different CLOSE encounters with big toms but we just couldn’t seem to close the deal. We were either being picked out or the tom was getting run off by the jake squad, but it just didn’t quite come together. Needless to say, we had a great time and were just glad to be out there hunting this early! We did manage to get some great footage and we plan on heading back to the farm in a few weeks. I imagine the birds will be even more split up by then and the hunting should be amazing!