HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jan 27 ice storm
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jan 27 ice storm

I know what you're talking about. I spent weekend before last on our lease in Ravenden, AR working like a dog just trying to cut the trees that had fallen across the roads. I don't think there's a tree on that 530 acres that didn't have some kind of damage. A lot of the trees that are downare huge red oaks, white oaks and a butt-load of cedars. Cutting these things is dangerous considering the pressure that's on them. I'll be going back next weekend to try to finish. At this point, all we're trying to accomplish is getting the downed trees on the road cut so the owner can bring in a dozer and push the roads clear.I know that normally a deer will take the path of lease resistance.I'd be willing to bet that those deer will be using those roads this coming season. Unless scouting reveals something different, you can bet that I'll be setting up within bow range of the road.

On another note, those woods will still be dangerous for some time to come. There are "widow makers" hanging in so many trees. At some point those things will fall, and I'd be willing to bet that a windy day this fall will make the "pucker factor" high when hunting those woods. Pick yourroutes in and stand sitescarefully.