HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Mineral Block
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Mineral Block

ORIGINAL: J Pike

even though themineral blocks had nothing to do with drawing the deer in front of the cams. Pike
So.... You claim minerals provide no benefit to the deer in any way shape or form and now you state the minerals have "nothing to do with drawing the deer in front of the cams"

Why do you purchase the minerals? I am not trying to be argumentative but trying to figure out your reasoning. I posted factual info and provided the name of someone who has done studies on protein and mineral consumption in whitetailsand written a book about it only to you state again " To date there has not been one study that showed any positive results in regards to mineral supplements, licks, blocks, rocks, benefitting deer" Post 19 I'll provide the name again... Rod Marburger. Read his book with the intent to learn something and you'll see the correlation.

My experience has been this. I have hunted many different areas and many different food sources year after year. The quality of the bucks have remained consistent year after year. The food was in abundance on these farmlands so, an implemented herd reduction program had no effect on the size of the buck in that area. Four years ago I began mixing my own mineral supplements. There has been a noticeable change since the first year of supplementation. The average buck had a 6 point rack or very small basket rack 8, Now the # of first year 8 points have increased by an estimated 20%, the 6 points have higher tine and/or beam lengths. The first year fawns are also bigger in body size being comparable to the doe who birthed them by the time rifle season comes in. Also the buck are bigger in body now than they have ever been on my land. The increased zinc supplementation aids testosterone production which equates to more muscle mass. A mineral supplementation which consists of 96% or more salt/sodium isn't a great benefit, this is why I mix my own. It costs quite a bit more than the mineral block at the feed store but from "my" experience there is a benefit to providing minerals at key times throughout the year and knowing what to mix with those minerals in order to get the deer to eat the minerals in larger quantities at different times of the year.
Nonetheless, nice pics, looks like our farm in Ohio.