HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunter Height
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunter Height

6'1" - a stealthy 275! Old worn out interior lineman !!!

Have hunted about everything available here in SE US - Rabbit was No. 1 followed by duck and wood cock when I was much younger. Even hunted nutria back in Louisiana when I was a boy. Now there is a hoot of a hunt. Ease down a bayou very early or very late in the day with my grand dad's old a single shot Winchester 22 rifle.

For the past 30 or so years, I have concentrated (in this order of preference) (1) White tailed deer, (2) squirrels, (3) eastern turkey, and (4) feral hogs. Usually get invited to a good dove shoot or two every year. Loved quail hunting back in the 1970's and early 1980's when there was a good population of wild bob whites down this way. that's gone now it seems. Will pop a coyote if one comes along but do not actively varmint hunt these days. Have been lucky enough to make a few mule deer hunts up in eastern Montana. Dream of hunting elk or moose.

Used to shoot a recurve, then moved to a compound bow (though looks like those days are coming to an end due to an injury that is not responding to treatment). Hunted with a X-bow for the first time last year. I am getting deeper into muzzle loader hunting too. Don't hunt deer with a shotgun ... use a center fire (308 Win. most of the time). Use an older Winchester .410 SBS F/F or a 50 year old Marlin bolt action 22 LR for squirrels.

If I had to chose only one ... it'd be a toss up between squirrel and white tailed deer hunting. I ain't good at either, but I do so enjoy both.