HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Two Texas Rio's down
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Default Two Texas Rio's down

Went to Texas this past weekend for the opening weekend and got two Rio's. The first one weighed 19.2 pounds with matching 1 inch spurs and a 9 inch beard. Bird # 2 weighed 17.9 pounds with 3/4 inch spurs and also a 9 inch beard. They weren't gobbling great this weekend, but enough to know where some were before flydown. Once they hit the ground, they were silent.Both birds came in silent. The first one snuck in from behind me with two other longbeards. With my tinitus, I can'thear drumming until one is right on top of me. I heard one and they were less than 20 yards behind me. Of course I was busted, but was able to swing around to my left and nail him as he was running directly away from me. It was about a 30 yard shot by thetime I took it. The 2nd bird also came in silent and with another longbeard, but he came from where I expected him to. He worked perfectly to my soft yelps and purrs. It was a 20 yard shot. I'm still trying to get pictures to post, but it justisn't working. I'll keep on trying. I may have to email pics to someone and have them post them for me. My Louisiana season opens this weekend, sohopefully my good luck can continue. Good luck to all.