HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Savage package rifle scopes?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage package rifle scopes?

ORIGINAL: rats

Go with a leupold. He cant go wrong.If money is an issue the VXI is a good bet.
I've had nothing but problems with my VX-1 and the Burris I have puts it to shame not factoring in all the problems I've had with the Leupold and was cheaper and had a free GPS with it. I'm told that the majority of people with Leupolds don't have these issues so I'm in the minority. Then again at the same time I only know 3 people with Leupolds me included and 2 of us have had issues where it seemed like the scope was self adjusting. I got mine back and put it in my muzzle loader but haven't sighted it in yet. The other guy got his back and traded it for a .22 rifle. This was the 2nd time mine had been in for repair.

It also seemed to lose zero very very easily.

The 3rd guy will tell you he hasn't had it long enough or used it enough to see how it will hold up.

I've been told by a few guys I've talked to that like Leupolds that the VX-I is crap and to stay away from it. They go on to tell me how Leupold makes great scopes but that the VX-I is crap. I'm sorry but there is no reason a $250 scope shold be crap. Low end from that company or not.

The Burris I got on clearance for $200 with a free Gramin eTrex GPS and clarity wise I like it better. The crosshairs are a ton better as they change between a gold and black look to make it easy to see. I don't know how they do it but it changes to gold sometimes when you couldn't see black easily. I've not had any issues yet but not had it a full year yet either so I can't comment on that part of it but looking through it then the Leupold I can see that I clearly like the Burris a ton more and it was cheaper.

I have a $30 Tasco that's held up a lot better than the Leupold VX-I and I can't tell a difference clarity wise. A friend looked through them and said the Tasco look clearer to him but I can't honestly tell a difference and it's lasted longer where as the Leupold's been sent in for repair twice.

I know guys on here get tired of my bashing Leupold but I just can't say I had a good experience. Their higher end scopes may be great but if they can't make a decent $250 scope why should I spend $500 to see if they made a good $500 one?

I think there are much better brands out there for the same pricerange.