HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - moly-coated bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: moly-coated bullets

ORIGINAL: Ryan Campbell

There is another problem I've heard about with Moly coating.

Supposedly the coating makes the bullet more "slick" so that when it is sitting in the cartridge in the chamber and the primer is ignited, the bullet starts forward motion before the entire charge is lit.
All of this takes place in a nano-second but it can be enough to cause uneven amounts of pressure behind the bullet.
In other words the bullet doesnt get the full benefit of the entire charge because it has started down the barrel of the rifle before the entire charge has gone off.
I'm not 100% sure how true this is but I've heard it from some fairly knowledgeable people.
I would say not so much. Not uneven pressure, but less pressure. With moly, you have to rebuild your load. Maybe you use more powder charge, or even more of faster powder.

I have been down the moly road and came back very disappointed. On paper it seemed like the cats meow when it came out. I had moly kits to moly my bullets, moly the barrel, on and on. In the end, you have walked down a road you can't easily walk back iwth a gun. And gains seemed small. I will not do it again.