HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

ORIGINAL: Stonewall308

Hunting sure is a funny sport. On Monday, Wednesday, andFriday you read articles about the oldtimers being depressed that no young folks are interested and complaining about how their traditions are dying out. On Tuesday and Thursday young folks get called panhandlers for asking about general info.

I wan't asking for the longitude and latitude of your secret spot. Nor do I give a damn about the "old guard" who would rather me go elsewhere;you have theright to exclude on private land but not on public land, so tuff cookies.
It is tough cookies for you... because per the law... we can exclude on public water. Better get to reading those blind laws pal.

You were not asking for 'general info'. You were asking where to hunt "public hunting opportunities". That is called 'cyber scouting'.

I never called you a panhandler either... I said that the folks you will be hunting with don't like panhandlers.... cruise on over to duckhuntingchat.comon the VA page and shoot a PM to Big Shorty and ask him for a spot to hunt.... he'll tell you whatever you want to know

Reading comprehension is a critical skill if you are planning on waterfowl hunting in VA, because the blind laws are quite confusing to a layman. And unless you'd like to be arrested for criminal tresspass... EVEN IN 'PUBLIC WATER'... you'd better know those laws inside and out. Because 'public water' when it comes to waterfowl hunting... is largely a myth.

Waterfowl hunting is anything but dying out in this state. It is growing faster than any other form of hunting. And it is getting to the point that nobody will allow you into a club, to duck hunt at all.