HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mar-den/ Vortex/ minimax broadhead test preview
Old 07-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Dave Solgat
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mar-den/ Vortex/ minimax broadhead test preview

I have been shooting the 125 grain 2-3/4 inch heads for about 10 years now and have taken too many deer with them to count. I have sworn by them because of the massive blood trails they produce but I have never needed it because every deer I have shot went between ten and thirty yards. I have never lost a deer with them and they ALWAYS opened up almost on contact!!! Most entry holes at the ribs were just under 2" and exit holes were always 2-3/4" . When I switched to carbon arrows about 2 years ago I quit having passthroughs with them but the deer 3 deer I shot with them still went under 20 yards and the arrows still pennitrated the other side. I filled one bonus tag with a spitfire and only had about 8-10" of penitration and it went 70 yards before stopping, eating for about 30 seconds, and then laying down. It took several minutes for that one to die. I now use them only with aluminum arrows and use 2 blade magnus for carbon arrows but the vortex will always be my favorite head just because of how humane it is. They fly with fieldpoints so they are easy to shoot with accuracy and they are the closest thing in bowhunting to shooting deer with a rifle for quick and humane kills. In other words I LOVE THEM!!!