HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newfoundland Moose Outfitters
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Windwalker7
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

I went in 2005 with two buddies. Had a great time.

Many things you must know.

Take knee high rubber boots. Gortex type boots are not high enough and will get water logged eventually. That means they will get heavier. I wore LaCrosse Alpha burly uninsulated boots with great results.

Be prepared to do lots of walking. The terrain up there in different. It is soggy and wet. It is almost as if the grass and sod are floating on water. when you step, a small puddle will form around your boot. Your feet will sink in a couple inches with each step.(Unless you step in a moose track. In that case, you will go up to your knee)This requires you to lift your leg higher for the next step. This wears you out quickly. YOU WILL GET TIRED OF WALKING! The terrain isn't that steep, its just that sinking and lifting your legs higher that does it.

Take good quality rain gear. The cheap plastic type stuff will be ripped to shreds in seconds on that black spruce. What is black spruce? It is like thesesmall, stunted, little pine trees with twisty, knarly roots and limbs that grab you and trip you as you try to walk through them.

Go with the intentions that this is a meat hunt, not a trophy hunt.

Yes, there are many moose taken with nice racks, but most are much smaller. Many don't even have pamation, just a few points.

Don't get me wrong. There are lots of moose and even some nice ones but there are many more small ones.

I went with this outfitter

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/index.html

It is a fly in camp. He operates about a dozen camps.

Be prepared to have a good time.

Take a camera. You can see for miles up there. For some reason the air is much clearer and not hazy.

Any questions, I'd be glad to tell you of my experience.