HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WIDNR on the trail of Mt Lion, real deal!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Lanse couche couche
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: WIDNR on the trail of Mt Lion, real deal!

I think an important issue here is the specfic area you are talking about and the implications for having cougars in anyspecific area. Many folks would likely argue that cougars are not a problem as long as they are in wilderness areas and pretty much stay there. My understanding is that incidents of attacks/close encounters with cougars often occur in areas where human expansion and traditional wilderness converge. As one example, I think that there have been a couple cougar attacks on women who were on walking paths on the edge of suburban areas in California. As it pertains to the midwest, I grew up in the same general area as 2-Lunger. My personal perspective is that I wouldnt have much problem with cougars inhabiting portions of the Shawnee National Forest that are pretty isolated and would allow plenty of room for cougars and humans who enter the area to kind of work around each other. On the other hand, I see nothing but problems emerging if you have cougars living further north and inhabiting areas where even many of the most isolated creek bottomare within a quarter mile of homes, farms, etc. Catching a glimpse of a cougar while hiking out in the middle of the Shawnee would be nice. Seeing onecrouched in a tree while I am out with my son, nieces, etc. mushroom hunting across the road from my parents place wouldnt not.