HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tips for roosting birds
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:49 AM
deeg1502

Default RE: Tips for roosting birds

I love roosting birds! It does make getting good sleep a little tougher as that's all you think about while lying in bed. Birds to tree hop on occasion, but they usually don't go far unless it's extremely windy. Last year, I had the pleasure of roosting a couple birds, for some little kids. They were absolutely tore up when I would hoot and he would gobble. It was exactly what I remembered when I was 5 years old when my grandpa took me out to put the turkeys to bed.

For me, Roosting sometimes makes you over analyze a bird. You think too hard about how you're going to approach him and then when you set up on him he either flies the other way or gets locked up with hens. If you know the area pretty well, find a nice flat place that is open and he'll usually fly there. Don't get too close as you'll possibly bump him off the roost. Also, if you're going to try and get close, make sure you've got total darkness. If you do bump him at least he won't go far and won't be quite. I bumped one three years ago and I thought I was toast for that morning, but after 10 minutes and 60 yards later, he started gobbling. Actually, the bump I causes was the best thing that happened cause he separated from 4 hens. I got right between them and he came right to my calling. Just go out have fun and see what works best for you. Take care and God bless!