HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need tips on Turkey hunting with Xbow
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:04 PM
awshucks
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need tips on Turkey hunting with Xbow

I've taken two turkeys w/ an xbow. Same arrow set up on both, Slick Tricks w/ a Zwickey 'Grappler' behind them.

The principle is to keep the bhead in the bird on a marginal hit to keep on cutting them. I did a test shot on a big chicken w/ Ecet and about 450 gr setup at 20 yds and the arrow stayed in the bird.

My one I shot w/ Emax was a pass thru, wasn't turkey hunting but rather deer, saw the turkey coming and switched arrows. The one w/ Ecet was like the chicken, dead when I got to it at 20 yds w/ arrow in it.

The Grapplers weigh 20 gr and have no affect on poi or accuracy for me to 30 yds.

If you shoot GT L II's and have the old shafts use 22/64's, if newer thinner GT's use 21/64's.

When I first tried them in practice, they were sliding up my shaft in flight stopping about 1/2" onto the vanes. I got some small rubber 'o' rings to put behind them and solved that problem, which I think was due to new shafts, but this was back before I new the difference between the two.

Needless to say, I'm impressed w/ them. Good luck!