HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are You Willing to LEARN
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
WildlifePhoto

Default RE: Are You Willing to LEARN

From T.R. :

Although scieintific studies (or supposed studies) often show conflicting results, BECAUSE they are either conducted differntly, conducted at different times of the year (most hunters are mainly concerned with what occurs during fall and early winter), or because they are conducted at different latitudes or in entirely different habitats.

That is why I have read every research paper I can - so I get a broad view of whitetail behaviour - and as much knowledge of whitetail biology as possible - then look at my own 10 year research project on urban, big woods and mixed agicultural habitat - so that I can come up with some "generalities" on whitetails deer.

What I have found is that - through my studies and those of others - that you can make some pretty reliable "generalizations" about how deer react to meteorological conditions, lunar factors, the rut, hunting pressure etc.; that although the timing of the different run phases differ in different areas, we do know that the activities or each rut phase generally overlap each other, that the rut phaes are generally longer and later in the south thaan they are in the north, that not all bucks are on the same time schedule during the rut (generally due to age and testosterone levels), and that does in each are generally breed at fairly specifec times each year, ine each region, because of th timing of spring (so fawns dont die of hypothermia, and there is enough forage for does toproduce milk to feedd the fawns).

We also know that whitetails have fairly specific ways to communicate with each other, through the use of scents, body position or action and soundes - that are common to all whitetails - everywhere.
We also know that whitetails are primarily browsers (not grazzers), and that in general they have fairly small (as opposed to other deer species) "yearly home ranges" that they use throughout the year, but that they may have two or more "seasonal home ranges" (winter,spring,summer,fall - depending on forage availability and security and thermal cover each season) within that "yearly home range". And they generally have a "core area" where they spend the majority of their time during the day (where they have their bedding sites), and that these core areas are generally "traditional" in nature, meaning they are often used day after day, and even year after year, by the same animal - which makes them susceptable to "patterning" their daily movements - as to approximate time and location - which in turn helps us choose the right spot - at the fight time - to kill a "particular" deer - of your choice.

And all of that - my friends - is what we are going to talk about in this on-line seminar. If you pay attention, you will lean something, and it just may make you a better hunter. It made me a better one.
Realize that as an outfitter and guide, I should not be content to know where there ar lots of deer. I am supposed to know where bucks in the 140 class are - on a regular basis, so my clients go home happy. So I have to know where particular bucks - to the best of my knowledge - at All times - and in all conditions/

Now, if you can hunt one particular buck, you are extremely prepared to hunt any deer - in general.
I hope you will play along, ask questions and possibly learn.

I am more than happy to anwser questions, but am unwilling to get into debates about what I write, being on 25+ talk forums, writing for 60+ websites, and being on the intenet for a minimum of 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week - I just do not have time for debates and arguments - I'll just try go ignore them.

You can either accept what I wirte, or ignore it.

God bless,

T.R.