HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tips for roosting birds
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 AM
wholelottagobble

Default RE: Tips for roosting birds

Roosting is not 100% effective because you can never guarantee a turkey will gobble in the evening on the roost, at least the easterns where I hunt are that way. I can go out and hoot 100 yards from where I think they are and not hear a noise, then go back to the same spotthe next morning and sure enough, at daylight, GOOOOBBLLE.

If I have fields where I think they are feeding before they fly up, I like to ease around and watch the fields, then towards fly up time, they will walk into the woods and you obviously know where they'll be in the morning.

I would avoid turkey calling when trying to roost and stick with the locator calls. Around where I live it is turkey and crow, however I probably ought to add a coyote howler just for kicks.

I will go anywhere on my farms to roost birds as long as I'm sure I wont bump them. Just get to the highest point and call and listen.

Where I live, it is big woods so roosting is overrated. There's enough cover to hear a gobble a long ways off in the morning, and still get to him and set up before he flys down. hope this helps.