HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best black powder load for long range with the Endeavor
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
1eyebuck

Default RE: Best black powder load for long range with the Endeavor

I think I found the reason for the bullets not expanding. Going through my notes, when I bought my Knight MK-85 they recommended 110 grains of pyrodex and I used 90 becauseI wasshooting the same bullet out of my hawken. I was punching hole in hole at 100 with a Williams peep sight. When I took it out for deer I shot at 5 that week and didn't get a single one. I did find hair and I was so mad I actually through the gun on the ground!!! Can you imagine, a $700.00 gun??? Yep that's me, I don't like to wound anything.... Well the next week I went back to the drawing board trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Feeling like I never want to hunt with a muzzle loader again. I called Knight and they asked about my powder charge. I told them I was using 90 grains of pyrodex. They asked that I bump up the charge to 110 as recommended in the literature the sent with the gun and then call them if I had any further issues. I did and had the same group. The next year "hesitantly" I had an opportunity at a very nice 8 pointer. I had that what if in my head... I put the peep right behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger with uncertainty. Boom the gun went of and after the cloud of smoke cleared I thought OMG again it happened again! I started focusing in on a brown spot and said wait there he is!!! Wow he went right down and I thought maybe that was just a freak. The next week was doe days and I shot at a doe, she went about 30 feet. A boost of confidence!!!! Every deer since then I got with little to no tracking. So what I'm going to do is continue with the recommended 3 x 50 pyrodex and see what happens. The only down side is I have to wait until next year to find out. But I look at it this way, it gives me the time I need to get to know my gun in any condition and circumstance. I really appreciate everyone’s feed back and I will keep you posted. If anyone still wishes to share their experiences please do so I really like taking about these things.