HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mentored youth?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
blkpowder
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mentored youth?

Introducing young people to the outdoors. This is what we must never forget,they are kid's. Make it as fun as possible when you take your own or someone else's child to the outdoors. My daughters first outdoor experience was fishing. We took along her favorite board game at that time. we fished a little,then we played board games.When I first let my daughter(age 8)shoot,it was a pellet rifle. I set up cans at ten feet away and almost side by side.So she almost couldn't miss. Don't worry about groups and bullseye's.Each time when we went shooting ,I asked first,if she wanted to go. When she did,it was her choice.When I first took my daughter for a walk in the woods,I kept it a short easy walk and we packed a little lunch.I just let herfind what's interesting toher at that time,while on our walks.If you have your child along for a hunt,don't be so serious. Ask the child if and when they would like to move to another spot when action is slow. Ask the child when they want to take a snack break. Ask the child when they want to call it a day.Any other method that you can come up with to make that outdoor experience fun,"DO IT" After all,they are kids!