HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - stock refinishing
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default stock refinishing

my buddy has a 9422 that is right about 40yo...

he sent it home with me to be cleaned....boy what a chore that was...he said he really never stripped and cleaned it EVER. and believes he has 1 million shells through it...says he went through bricks like they were nothing back when he was a kid...the gun is now used for coon hunting(VERY rough on coon guns) and he throws it in the tractor and truck when farming to crack groundhogs when he is at his other barns and such...

anyways, the finish is cracked/chipped/peeling/dried etc and bare wood in alot of spots...

he gave me the go ahead tonite to refinish the stock if i wanted...

i used poly urethane on my flintlock stock and it turned out nice....

can i do the same on the 9422?? will it be durable and not dry out/flake and peel off etc?? the gun is rough...but a refinish job will make it look alot better...and i wont cringe when i look at the peeling finish on it now....just checking to see if the poly will hold up well to the use he puts it through...

the poly just looked good on a test sample of my flintlock so i did it to the whole stock...light steel wool between coats and that was that...but i did it 2 years ago...still looks good...but wanted to check with you guys to see if it was a good choice...the gun stays in the barn with the coon hunting gear(locked and safe of course) it has a rough life...stock is rough and wont be much nicer when im done..just wont have the dry nasty finish and bare wood like it does now...

so will the poly be alright??? no sense in a 20 step oil finish or anything like that....just looking for something quick and easy that will last and look better than it does now...