HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - For the guys looking for decoys - 2009 Carrylite's Peep'n Tom... [Personal Review]
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM
fingerz42
Nontypical Buck

Default For the guys looking for decoys - 2009 Carrylite's Peep'n Tom... [Personal Review]

2009 Review of the Peep'n Tom

Carrylite's Peep'n Tom

For a while now I have been looking for a gobbler decoy. Although, I wanted it to have a few characteristics. I wanted a good looking decoy, obviously; I wanted it to be collapsible; (very important to me); and I wanted it to be a decent deal. Well, after careful consideration, I found that Carrylite's Peep'n Tomwas the best choice. I ordered from Rogers Sporting Goods, and paid $84.99, which to me for a Gobbler and hen decoy combination wasn't a bad deal.

The decoy arrived today.

First thing I noticed was that the box was big enough for me to crawl in, and still have room for a sofa or two. Immediately I knew something was up. After opening the box I realized that to my dismay the gobbler decoy was NOT collapsible. Even though the back of the box CLEARLY says that BOTH decoys are fully collapsible, and fit into a vest. What really irritates me is that everywhere you look for information on this decoy, it says that it is collapsible. Even the instructional DVD the guy says he folds it up and fits the hen and gobbler into his vest. Lie. False advertising. There is absolutely no way to fold up the gobbler decoy. The hen can be folded up though. Bottom line as far as that part of the decoy I felt I was lied to. Alot of guys only want decoys if they are versatile and easily transported. Apparently Knight and Hale, the makers of this decoy, knew this and decided to state that the decoy was collapsible even when they knew it was not.

That aside, the decoy is THE BEST looking full strut gobbler decoy on the market, bar none. The colors are spot on, the heads look very realistic, and with a real fan it is almost too good to be true!

The hen is decent looking as well, although I disagree with the light coloring of the decoy. It's called the Pretty Penny and it has a copper color rather than the usual brown/black color of a hen. To me, it looks more like a oversized grouse than a hen turkey. But, this may just be the change of pace a weary old gobbler needs to make him commit. I'll find out later.

Overall, I am pleased with the decoy, but when I read the information about an item I expect to be told the truth. Would I suggest this decoy to others...? Absolutely. But be aware that you will be toting around a full size gobbler in a backpack. No way around it.

Pros
-Best looking gobbler on the market
-2 gobbler and 2 hen heads give multiple variations
-Hen comes with submissive and contented head
-Gobbler comes with strutting and contented head
-All 4 heads are ultra realistic looking
-Can use both heads at once to look like 2 gobblers
-For $84.99, the quality cannot be beat. ( www.rogerssportinggoods.com )
-Adjustable beard
-Very realistic beard material
-Can use a real turkey fan

Cons
-Both decoys are difficult to collapse,while the gobbler is impossible.
-As a result, transportation is very limited.
-The photoreproduction fan has limited use. (high winds, sun glare, etc.)
-Hen decoy came with one eye unpainted (fixed it myself)
-Decoys are heavy compared to others on the market.
-Stakes are thick and hard to push into ground.

Final Thoughts
*Ranked 1-10, 1 being lowest, 10 being highest score

Realism-- 9 The best bar-none
Versatility-- 7 The extra heads allow variations for hunting styles
Transportation-- 3 This oversized decoy will keep you close to the truck or prove very cumbersome on long walks
Pricing-- 8 With quality comes high prices, but at $84.99 its the best of both worlds
Quality-- 8 Other than the unpainted hen eye this product is very well made

Overall-- 8.5 A good, well-built gobbler decoy

*These are solely my opinions on a product purchased recently. All comments can be taken with a grain of salt, but as a consumer, it is our duty to help fellow consumers. I hope this helps a few in their everlasting search for the ultimate gobbler decoy.

**Questions/comments particular to the decoy are welcome. (I can attempt to answer.)

Last edited by fingerz42; 02-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.