HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using a Scope VS Open Sites
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default RE: Using a Scope VS Open Sites

firelt72

I know how you feel. I lost my turkey hunting mentor and great friend in 1998. He was only 38 and we still don't really know what happened, they just found him dead at home one day. He and I spent many nights in a muddy tent somewhere in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Missouri chasing turkeys. He was a bigger than life person - elk guide in the fall in Colorado, made the NWTF Grand National finals calling contest several times. He was with me when I killed my firstturkey in Greene County, Alabama, in 1983. I will never forget that day.

I took a feather from the fan of that turkey and put it in his casket before they shut it up and lowered it into the ground.

Every turkey I kill now I thank God for and dedicate it to my friend Al. I know he's up there with a grin on his faceand enjoying the moment with each one. Actually a part of him is still with me. When I'm working a bird I sometimes ask Al what he would do now. I'll never fully get over his early departure from this earth, but I owe much of my love for this great sport to our friendship and the time we spent together turkey hunting.

When you take the first bird with that sight go ahead and let the emotion out - it's OK. That connection you feel with your brother will never go away, and that ultimately is a good thing.

Best wishes

Mouthcaller