HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using a Scope VS Open Sites
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 AM
krabbiepatty
Fork Horn

Default RE: Using a Scope VS Open Sites

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I had a low power scope on my 870 for 2 reasons. One, I like a scope on my slug gun and used the same receiver with a different barrel for turkey, and the vrb only had a front bead. It worked well for me, but my last bird I took with it was at a wierd angle and I ended up with scope eye. My 835 had tru glo sites on it when I picked it up, and it shot a full 9" high with no more room for adjustment. I took 2 birds with it last season, remembering to hold low, and I kinda liked the open sites. I picked up some pro series magnum gobble dots so I'd have more room for adjustment instead of getting a scope for it. I haven't sighted in yet, but I figure if I got scope eye from an 870 with a 28" barrel, I'll be walking around with an eye patch if I put a scope on my 835 with a 20" barrel, especially since I shoot 3.5" loads.
WHOA!!! that sux about the scope eye. I can see why if you can only get it sighted in 9 inches high with open sights. Did you try different load/choke combos. I bought a jelly head choke and different brands of ammo. I had good luck with the remington nitros. They are only 6 or 7 bucks per box and I plastered a big ol tom at 53 steps last year. i'm pretty long legged so that should be really close to 53 yards.