HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using a Scope VS Open Sites
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Using a Scope VS Open Sites

I use a Mueller 2-7 "Multi Shot" on my 870 Supermag for a couple of reasons.........one it's shooting 3.5" Hevi #6's with an Indian creek BDS tube and is capable of honest 60 yard killing patterns.
That sort of range on a hung up bird in a field demands precise aiming. Don't know if I'll ever use it for that but it's there and certainly capable.

It also shoots such tight groups at 10-20 yards that it's almost like shooting a rifle, with open sights it's easier to get your head off the stock and not line those sights up exactly right in the heat of the moment.
With the circle/crosshair reticle if the birds neck is centered in the circle that's all I need to know.

Also here in PA we need to have a visible beard to make a legal tom even if he's a million years old with foot long spurs. LOL It's nice being able to slide the power up to 7X to evaluate an approaching tom (or toms) without having to reach for your binos. I'd never use it to look at an unidentified object (potentially another hunter) but it is nice when you have a bird in sight.

The exact model scope that I picked has a red dot center reticle with crosshairs and circle.
That's a nice feature because I don't rely on batteries.......if they die no big deal they were a luxury anyway and I still have the normal crosshairs.