HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NEW JERSEY HUNTERS/TREESTANDS
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 AM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NEW JERSEY HUNTERS/TREESTANDS

Sproul, I beleive that I read in a PA publication (can't remember which) that DCNR, the USFS and the PGC regard treestands left after hunting season to be litter. Check with the appropraite owning agency and report the GPS location of the stands.

I'm not advicating the taking of a treestand, most of us have had one or more stolen, but I think the official position is that taking one down now is not stealing, merely cleaning up litter. If you reallly want to be upstanding about it, double check on the agency's policy and attach notes this season warning it will be taken down by x day after season.

Personally, I dont believe in leaving them on public ground. Howis a courteous fellow hunter supposed to honor the guys spot when he basically has staked a claim for the season on a particular spot? When my sons were young enough that we all hunted close, we would take our stands out the sunday afternoon before the gun opener and put them up just at the end of the day and be in them before first light..A couple years ago, we came in to find a ladder stand leaned about 10 yards from my oldest sons favorite spot. He did the gentlemanly thing and moved elsewhere. Next morning we wnet in past that ladder stand and it was empty and remained that way every day we went near it. He hasn't hunted that particular spot since but next time I see a long term treestand on public ground, I'm hunting there if I dang well please to do so!