HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ML Off Season---Shooting Rail for "Wings" on Cheap Ladder Stands
Old 03-01-2009, 05:15 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default ML Off Season---Shooting Rail for "Wings" on Cheap Ladder Stands

Many of you have followed my off season improvements for wings on cheap River's Edge or Comfort Zone tree Stands: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3327230

Complete assembly of these stand improvements are here:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/How%20to%20make%20Wings%20for%20Ladder%20Stands.pd f

This is a ladder stand with "Wings", the wings are 2 pieces of 3/4" pressure treated plywood attached to the foot support of the cheap ladder stand. A shooting rail from Cabelas is $44 and cuts of about4" of space between you and the tree, becuse the seat on these cheap stands is sosmall you feel like yourgonna fall out of the stand, therefore I designed this shooting rail, which is cheaper and does not take ANY space against the tree.

I made a shooting rail yesterday in about4 hours formy "Wings Ladder Stands", hereis theshooting rail finished and installed in a Ladder Tree Stand with Wings.

Here is what you need to buy or have on hand:

2 pieces 21" long of aluminuum tubing 1.5" for bottom of L
2 pieces of 42" long1" steel tubing for up part of the L
1 41" 3/4 steeltubing for shooting rail
2 3" 3/8" bolts for bottom of the L
4 2.5" 3/8" bolts for the triangle partholding the L together at the bottom
1 2.5" 3/8" bolt for the right L, this holdsone sideof the shooting rail
1 3.5" fully threaded bolt for theleft L, this has 3 nuts to hold a washer to hold the shooting rail tight
1 36" piece of foam to cover the shooting rail.

Chap

Here is the finishedShooting Railinstalled in a tree stand, note you do NOT have to crawl under the rail, it flips over to the side so you can get out of the stand easily. Also there is NO foot room loss to the wings, you can still shoot to the left, to the right and stand up stand on a wing and shoot behind you. The rail is about 8" from the front of the Wing. You flip it up to the right to get out of the stand.