HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dropaway conversation
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
drockw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dropaway conversation

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

bigcountry, you bring up a very good point. For the masses, most will say and notice that theory #1 is more consistant for them, especially at hunting distances.

For the guys that have good form and shoot very well, then theory #2 is perhaps the way to go. However, in most cases, traditional drop aways are still more than adequate for a hunting setup.

Me, I'm on the fence. I'm a hunter first and foremost, but I also want the most accuracy I can obtain. For me, that is the LD or Whammy.
See... that is the difference between me and most on here. Although i dont claim to be the best shot, and quite honestly ive been shooting pretty crappy lately I do love target shooting and it is more important to me (as far as equipment) than hunting.

The way i see it is this... Last year i probably shot upwards of 7-10,000 times. 3 of those were at deer. 3 of those deer died. Imho, it doesnt take all of this technical mumbo jumbo that most of us go through to do the deed I like most though, want to have my setup rock solid, but... i admit that i dont think it is necessarry anymore now that i shoot target soo much. I honestly think that i could easily go out and shoot a pse nova at 55#'s and kill my deer

I believe most like BC said are the same way as theory #1. They dont NEED the super forgiving, but shooter reliable setup. They need something that will get the job done, and make their job as fail proof as possible. Thats why i say whisker bisquits for lots of people!!! Most dont need to shoot 4 in. groups at 60 yards. They need to kill deer at around a maximum of 30-40 or so and a tm hunter will do the job.

So... in a nutshell i guess some people dont need a rest like the LD or the Whammy b/c it will take time and effort to perfect the system to make its full potential, and most bowhunters dont have that kind of time to perfect their shooting. That is no put down, its just the truth. Archery is my thing, but for most, the bow is just the tool that they use to get the critter. The hunt and harvest is what is intriguing, not the weapon.

Theory #3???

Derek