HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new york hunters ,should know.
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
LIAF
Fork Horn

Default RE: new york hunters ,should know.

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I am against AR in NYS I would go back to one buck per hunter for either ML, archery, or gun. This is the way it was back in the late 70's.
Wasn't really that way in the late 70's. Maybe you were allowed one buck between the ML, archery and gun tags, this I can't verify since I hunted with gun only back then, but one was also allowed to take an antlered buck on a deer management permit if they so chose. These days one cannot do that with the DMP permit.
Back in the late 70's you were allowed only 1 buck per hunter you received a buck tag and received stamps to archery hunt or ML hunt. Once you shot your buck you were done. All DMP's in the 70's were for anterless deer only and you needed up to 3 people to receive your anterless only tag. Now sometimes in the mid 80's they started giving out DMP's were in certain units you could take an anterled deer, anterless deer or deer of either sex. If I remember correctly it lasted around 3 years. I feel you should be allowed only 1 buck per hunter. Presently if you archery/ML huntyou get to take an additional buck.