HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lab hunting
Thread: Lab hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lab hunting

ORIGINAL: millagerobert

My lab is not the best at any one hunting task, but can get the job done on a wide range of them. Labs are best as a companion for your trips into the field. Mine will retrieve anything I shoot that he can get his mouth around, from birds to small game. He also finds sheds, packs 10 pounds of gear in his pack when backpacking, protects the kids in camp, keeps my feet warm on cold nights in the mountains, alerts me to things human senses would miss, and most important gives me company on trips when my friends can't make it. They love to please, so my advise to you is to just take you dog along on whatever you like to do most, and I am sure you will find a role yourfor your labto fill. Here is a picture of my knuckle headed lab with my cousin's kid from last weekends horn hunting hike.

killing GAME is not fun part of being with your dog.

its all things you said and others like how easy it is to clean dog, health issues etc.

i know i could get 2 times more grouse with a lewellin setter but i just love my lab.

most important thing in a dog hunting the big mountains of northcentral pa is a dog that WILL STAY WITH YOU OUT AHEAD 20 YDS, NO SHOCK COLLAR OR LOST COLLAR THING,ALWAYS LOOKING FOR YOUR,NOT WORRYING ABOUT COVERING TERRITORY TO FIND MORE GROUSE.

DOG THAT CAN TAKE ON A TRAP, COUGAR,COYOTE,FOX,RACOON,RATTLESNAKE,BEAR.

thats dog that I WANT with me at 5 minutes before dark in a blizzard, wind blowing,coyotes howling,bear sneaking around,tree falling,cold nasty weather.