HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with guns across state lines
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Traveling with guns across state lines

I don' t know anything about the states you mentioned, but I do konw that it also won' t hurt anything to at least partially disassemble your rifle, then lock your gun lock through the action as usual if possible. I know here in KS, which is incredibly leniant (carriage is open and left to the municipalities to decide typical transport laws, rarely enforced), there are some cities that went off the deep end, it must be locked three times, in the action in the case in the trunk, and disassembled to the point of no-function if the lock would fail, basically if you lock the gun in the action with the bolt out, then lock the bolt in another box all locked in your trunk with the ammo locked in another box--maybe with the bolt would save on the # of boxes, you' d be fine. It' s a lot, but I figure bending to the law is better than having them find out I was breaking it! I got cited once driving through one of these towns for having a bb-gun in a locked case in the bed of my truck, the bed was ok, as it' s inaccessible while driving, and there' s really no other option, but not having the gun disassembled was the kicker. I raved and hollered about it, and sent a lot of letters and petitions through the town,before some local picked it up, I don' t know how it turned out yet, I just don' t go that way anymore.