HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - caliber or bullet weight
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
jerry d
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: caliber or bullet weight

I agree with chickenrunn SHOT PLACEMENT is what counts.We spend countless hour preparing for hunts,siteing in our rifles,preparing our equipment,scouting & so on. Let the animal present it's self so you can get the right shot.
I never pulled the trigger unless is 100% sure I was gonna kill the animal cleanly.I have had situations{bow hunting mainly} where I had to let nice animals walk because the animal did presnt a opportunity that I was confident with.
I think you have to stay with a gun & caliber that you can shot with confidence.If you can shoot the magnums good by all means go for it!
Does it mean you should be using a .243 @ 300 yds. on an elk because that's what your comfortable with,NO NOT AT ALL!! You got to keep it within reason.The flip side is do ya have to use a 300 win mag because "eddie the elk hunter" says it's good NO NOT AT ALL!!
Next year I'll be hunting deer for the 1st time in about 10yrs.@ 52 I just went & bought a .243,I use to use a 30.06,nothing wrong w/ the.06 don't get me wrong,I just wanted something a little eaiser on my shoulder.